Monday, March 30, 2009

Biodiesel in Spain!!



Last week, I went into Leioa with my friend and labmate, Diana. (Diana is one of my favorite people here. Along with Eva we have a lot of fun. There's a possibility I'll be bringing Eva back to Canada with me so she can spend some time at the U of S and experience fast food other than Bocatta World haha.) We went to the large shopping center on the edge of the town to do a bit of shopping, and then went into the town to wander around and enjoy some wine. On our way, we had to stop to fill up Diana's car with gas, so naturally we went to a gas station. I was blown away by the fact that every pump (there were 8 in total) had biodiesel as an option. I knew Europe was ahead of North America in terms of green energy, but I never expected a little gas station all alone on top of a hill to have biodiesel as a permanent option! No wonder there are so many VW's here. Plain 'ol diesel isn't even an option! It's biodiesel, gas without lead (sin plumo), or gasoleo (I think this is red diesel for large machinery). Go Spain!
The last week has been pretty uneventful, but generally good. It rained for a good portion of the weekend, though the sun did make an appearance a few times. On Friday, some people from my lab convocated with their Ph.D so there was a bit of a celebration. Convocation is different here, it's all about getting the traditional graduation cap placed on your head. Personally, I prefer our sash method. On Saturday, I went out with Eli for some beer and pintxos (mmm...pintxos). We're planning to go to Madrid for the long weekend in May! She has some friends there that we will go and visit. I'm already very excited! Madrid will be so different from the Basque Country.
School is going well. I had my first exam in spanish class today, and I think I did well - we'll find out tomorrow! As far as the masters work is concerned; I find myself in constant awe of the lab. They seem to have an easier method to do everything. Also, the equipment is so new, and so very efficient. It seems to take all the thinking out of it, being able to interpret data that my lab at the U of S wasn't capable of interpreting. And... this is the best part... you don't have to threaten lives to use the equipment! There's enough of everything to go around! They even have an excellent method to sign up for the busier equipment. And people don't steal your glassware, because there's a large stock of it for everyone to use! I didn't think grad students could work so efficiently and harmoniously.
In case I haven't told everyone enough times, I'm going to Franz Ferdinand with my roommate Ibai on Thursday!!! Only three more days!!! Expect to hear all about Franz soon! 

Hasta la proximá vez,
Kathlene

No comments:

Post a Comment