Thursday, July 16, 2009

Conciertos de Santurtzi

This week marked the beginning of the jaiaks in Santurtzi. Santurtzi has one of the bigger jaiaks in The Basque Country with rides, games, txosnas, and free concerts during the week. On Tuesday, Eva, Marta, Carolina and I went to see Carlos Baute (see his latest single here) in Santurtzi. It was my first Spanish concert and it was interesting. It was typical Spanish-romantic pop complete with a lot of fan fair and dancing. However, Carlos Baute seemed to think that he was God's gift to music. I've never seen someone shaking their hips in skinny jeans be more full of themselves. It was pretty hilarious.
On Wednesday, Eva, Leire, Sandra, Patricia, Javi, Jontxu, Ivan, and I went to see The Village People!! That's right, The Village People are actually still around and are performing again. Though they may be old, they still have an amazing stage presence! It was a much better concert! I had such a good time even though I may have been the only one who understood the band when they addressed the audience. But, I translated for my friends so I wasn't the only one cheering at the appropriate moments. After the hilarious and thoroughly entertaining concert, we went for drinks and to dance at the txosnas. I attempted to learn how to salsa, but I'm really not a talented dancer. However, at a truly Basque txosna there was a basque band playing and I was able to teach Ivan how to polka (traditional basque music consists of a lot of accordion), so maybe I have some talent haha.
Of course, because this is Spain, the festival/jaiak continues 24 a day for the 10 days it's in Santurtzi, so even at 4am we were able to ride the rides or dance the polka on a Wednesday. Summer in The Basque Country is most certainly not filled with sleep and rest, but is absolutely filled with activity and fun.

Hasta la proximá vez,
Kathlene

No comments:

Post a Comment