Sunday, December 6, 2009

Mi despedida soltera

After my spanish friends, and especially Eva, heard that Stu and I were engaged, they insisted on throwing a bachelorette or 'despedida soltera' for me. It was a bit early for such a celebration, but my time left in Spain is limited and they didn't want to miss out on the fun. So, Eva got everyone together and we had a great time at possibly the first bachelorette party in history to have more guys in attendance than girls.
We all met at Uno Muno Square in Casco Viejo where they dressed me up in a strawberry costume. However, this was no ordinary strawberry. The 'stem' of the strawberry drew the most attention and what was written on the front of the costume implied dirty things. This wasn't all they did. They also printed many, many 'WANTED' posters with a terrible picture of me and posted them all over town. My face was as red as my strawberry costume for most of the evening, but it was all in good fun.
The fiesta started with a pubcrawl down Calle Somera and then migrated to a shot bar in the middle of Casco Viejo. This is where the evening took a turn for the worst. When I first arrived in Bilbao, I got the name 'pitxiflu' by doing a strange shot in this particular bar. Our entire group did many of these shots, and about five minutes after we left that bar, the picures show just how they affected us all. Nonetheless, we walked down to the river to some of the discos and along the way encountered many randoms. I received 'fresh cut flowers' from a guy who had ripped an entire plant out of a nearby garden (and carried them with me for quite some time). We also came across a famous Basque band who were dressed up in tradition gear (capes and all!) and sang a song for us.
It was an excellent bachelorette party and will be hard to top. I'm really going to miss my crazy Basque friends. But, man, those shots were a bad idea...

Hasta la proximá vez,
Kathlene

No comments:

Post a Comment