Monday, April 6, 2009

Girls night out at a the disco FEVER

On Saturday, I went out with Eva (my friend from the lab) and her friends for a girls night. I took the metro from Bilbao to Urduliz (where Eva lives) so we could meet at Eva's house for dinner before going out. When trying to get to the metro I was delayed by the KKK! Well... it wasn't actually the Ku Klux Klan. In Spain, the catholic church makes processions through the streets during Semana Santa (Easter week, which started on Sunday) to demonstrate the story of the Passion of the Christ and in doing so, wear costumes that look an awful lot like those the KKK wore. But, apparently the KKK stole the costume from the catholics, and not the other way around. Those tricky KKK. 
After the procession of pointed ghosts made me late catching the metro, I arrived in Urduliz, Eva picked me up (11:15pm) and we went to her house. She and her mother have the nicest house! It was the first house I've been in since I arrived because having a house instead of a flat is very uncommon here. Eva's place is straight out of the movies with terra-cotta floors, tons of spare rooms and spacious arched hallways. They even have a pool for what I'm told will be marvelous summer parties! I can't wait! We had some supper with Eva's friends Marta and Leiri, and I got acquainted with some Spanish music. At about 1:15am we packed up our things and headed for the metro again. We took the metro from Urduliz to Getxo, and then one of Leiri's friends, Naiara, picked us up and drove us to FEVER. It's a GIANT club kinda in the middle of nowhere. It only opens on Saturdays, and only from 2am-6am in typical Spanish fashion. Once we got there, the club was just opening and there were masses of people in the streets. We thought we were going to have to wait in line forever. But, Marta pulled some strings, and got all of us in instantly. 
Once inside, I was absolutely amazed at how gigantic it was. There were four rooms that all had a different sort of music. Two of the rooms were gigantic, and two were the size of an average bar in Saskatoon. By 2:30, every square inch of all four rooms was full of people. It was incredible! Where do all these people come from, and how do they all get to this strange location in the middle of the night? We had a great group of girls, and the night was hilarious. Randoms joined and left our group all night long, and by the end of the night I had people coming up to me asking "Are you the Canadian?" to which I would respond "yes..." and then they would ask "Can we take our picture with you?" It was the strangest thing that has ever happened to me. My only response was "why?" and I would get a reply of "eres rubia!!". Being blonde is just weird here.
We got to Las Arenas to catch the ferry to Getxo (from here I caught the metro home) around 6:30am and ran into some guys who had been to see AC/DC  in concert. I got to wear some sweet AC/DC devil horns, while these guys tried to convince me they were from Canada too. It was a big night for the metropolis; AC/DC performed and Bilbao Athletica (the soccer team) played at home. There were people everywhere as the sun was rising. I finally got home around 7:30am and realized why all windows have heavy duty shutters on the outsides - so you can pretend it's night at any time of the day. I'm not sure how people stay out all night every Saturday.

Hasta la Proximá vez,
Kathlene

No comments:

Post a Comment