Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Zorionak Zuri/Feliz Cumpleaños/Happy Birthday

On the last Saturday of Easter holidays, I went to the surprise birthday party of Jon a.k.a. Eva's Boyfriend a.k.a. Jontxu (the Basque equivalent of Jonny) a.k.a Pedro Picapiedra (in España The Flintstones are Los Picapiedras and Fred Flintstone is Pedro Picapiedra). The party started at Eva's house, where we all gathered to wait for Jon and Eva to show up after the Bilbao Athletica soccer match. When the car pulled up we all waited in the dark and waited to sing Happy Birthday in Basque (zorionak zuri, zorionak zuri...). After Jon got over the initial shock, all 16 guests enjoyed a big dinner of tortilla española, bocadillos, homemade pintxos, bruschetta (which no one had tried before) and two birthday cakes. Eva made a rice cake (typical here) and I made a chocolate cake (very exotic here). Both were great successes even though we were both terrified that we had made horrid cakes. There are no cake mixes here, of course, that would be convenient.
After dinner, the party continued at Eva's for awhile, and even included 'Singing Star'... karaoke for Playstation. It got just terrible haha. Then we headed to Sopelana to party on the beach.  There are several clubs and bars that line the beach in Sopelana and all had a more laid back feel then the larger clubs or those in Bilbao. The second bar we went to was one called Cafe Americano and there was hockey on the tv! I couldn't believe that I could watch a Flames game at 5am, but what was more unbelievable was that I ended up explaining hockey to several sports fans! 
I had a great time, as I do everytime I'm with mi cuadrilla (my group of friends). I got home at the latest hour yet after going to breakfast with Jon, Eva, and Pive. But, I have to say, I'm getting used to the schedule here! I have come to except that Sunday afternoons just don't exist, and that Saturday is a double day.

Hasta la proximá vez,
Kathlene

No comments:

Post a Comment