Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekend with the girls

I spent the last weekend out and about with the girls. On Thursday, I attended my first ERASMUS party with Leire and Naiara which was 80s themed and at The LOFT. ERASMUS is the European Union's exchange program for all international students, so the party was littered with people from all over the world, however, I was still the only Canadian. Though, I did find a group of Americans from El Paso and Chicago. They were easy to find, as there were the only other people who cheered when 'The Safety Dance' or 'Tainted Love' played. It was a good night, in which I concluded that American's who study internationally are good people, and confirmed my suspicion that French men are CREEPY! There was one who insisted on following me around and kissing my hand repeatedly. No one understood why, but it was kind of funny, because he would randomly show up and interrupt all conversion to kiss my hand. So strange. On the way home from the night of 80s music, I discovered what I believe is to the Spanish version of 7/11. As the convenience store doesn't exist in Bilbao, they compensate with a 24 hour vending machine that have an address on the street and is encased in cement. Also strange.
On Saturday, I went to Eva's basktelball game with Leire in Sopelana. Then Eva and I went for dinner and met up with Marta. We were planning on having a low-key evening, but we ended up meeting up with some of the people Eva, Leire, and Marta went to school with. So, we went to Casco Viejo with them to a place where there are large tables to sit around, drink kalimocho (a mixture of cheap red wine and coke - it sounds disgusting but is actually really good and very very cheap), watch football, and play cards. Then, we went to some bars in Casco Viejo. We discovered one that served Pitxiflu, and since I had never tried it before, everyone insisted that we all have one. Pitxiflu reminds me of Mexico. You put your head on the bar while they poor liquor into your mouth. Then, the bartender puts his hand over your mouth and shakes your head until you swallow. This is when Eva and I knew we had failed in our attempt to have a low-key evening. Pitxiflu was a bad idea. After that we ended up going to a couple bars in Casco Viejo, and then continued on to Abando. It was absolutely pouring rain and we all got completely soaked! 
In the bars in Abando, Andréa (a cool girl in the group who recently became a dentist) and I ended up being Samantha and Angela from Canada later in the evening. This started because everytime we went somewhere new, some guys we didn't really want to talk to would come up to us to ask where I was from. Eventually, Andrea started to say that she was also from Canada and would only speak english while I would speak the 'better' spanish haha.  It was a fun group of people to be in, and even though we planned on having a mellow evening, it turned out to be a lot of fun.

Hasta la proximá vez,
Kathlene

PS. Next weekend is a long weekend, and I'm off to Madrid!!

No comments:

Post a Comment