Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bilbao Basket, Galician food, and Mount Artxanda

Yesterday, I got a phone call from Ibai in the middle of the afternoon asking me if I wanted to go to a basketball game that night. I said, 'sure, why not? I don't have anything else to do on a Tuesday night'. He wasn't sure if we had tickets or not, but I was supposed to meet him at home by 6:45 pm. I got home at 6:30 and we still weren't sure if we had tickets. Friends of Jon from work had memberships, and were trying to get us reduced price tickets (15€ instead of 40€). We didn't know we had tickets until we were already on our way to the BEC in Barakaldo for the game. They also managed to get a ticket for Eva at the last minute, so I didn't have to be the only girl. (After I had mentioned that I thought I was going to a basketball game, everyone in the lab suddenly was very jealous and wanted to go as well. I didn't know what kind of game I was going to. I had just assumed that Bilbao's basketball team couldn't be a big deal in any way)
When we arrived to the BEC, it was quite impressive, and Eva and I found out that we had stellar court-side seats! Also, it turned out that Vitoria was one of the best teams in the European League, and the game I was watching was a playoff game. Best completely random basketball game I've ever been to. The stadium was packed, and the fans were crazy about their team, of course - this is the Basque Country. But, Bilbao lost.
After the game, the seven of us (Ibai, Jon, 3 work friends of Jon's, Eva, and I) went to a Galician (Galicia is the province above Portugal) restaurant in Barakaldo. We had delicious white wine typical of Galicia, octopus, boiled ham (that was the translation, but to me it was fantastic roast beef), and potatoes done Galician style.  It was delicious. Who would have guessed that octopus would become part of my diet?
After dinner, we sepearted; Eva went in her car, Alex went in his, and I went with the other four guys in Jon's car. We ended up going through Artxanda to drop off the one guy who didn't live in Miribilla. Since I had never seen the view from Mount Artxanda, they boys took me to check it out. There is a place to park your car and gaze out at all of Bilbao so, naturally, the top of Mount Artxanda has become the token make-out place. It was a big joke that I was at 'make-out point' with four guys... what a lucky girl. Also, since Jon's work friends had heard the story of the black kitchen, I also got teased a lot for not knowing the emergency number here. Now, I don't think I'll forget 112 for as long as I live. 
The night was completely random, and an incredibly good time.

Hasta la proximá vez,
Kathlene

PS.  The kitchen is being repaired by the company who makes the fan. Their technician came and inspected the situation, and it was found that there was indeed some strange short circuit with the light in the fan that started the whole thing. Since the fan was under warranty, they are taking responsibility for a new fan, and hopefully new paint.  Should be back to new soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment