Sunday, May 24, 2009

Vitoria-Gasteiz

On Saturday, I spent the day in Vitoria or Gasteiz (in Basque) with Caro from Ecaudor and José from Venezuela - both engineering masters students. Vitoria-Gasteiz is the capital of the province Alava and also the capital of the Basque Country.  Even though it was in a different province, it only took 45 minutes to get there are a plush and comfy bus. I love Europe!
It was a beautiful sunny day and I wore sandals and short sleeves from 9 am until 11 pm!! It's summer here! We spent the morning and the afternoon seeing every point of interest there was to see from churches to plazas to parks. Also, coincidentally we saw four weddings. Vitoria is quite beautiful! In my opinion, some of the best sights we saw included Plaza de España (where two of the weddings were), all of the churches (San Miguel, San Vicente, and San Pedro), the new cathedral, Parque de la Florida, and the old city walls. It was interesting to see castle-like walls holding in a tiny portion of the city and imagine how sentinels would have sat watch to protect the town back in the day.  The most disappointing, but hilarious point of interest was Plaza de Machete.  You think that a plaza with a name like machete would be filled with machetes, people fighting to the death with machetes, or at least have a statue wielding machetes.  But alas, there was only a tiny machete all caged up in a wall.
Amid the sight-seeing , I had my first Paella! It was paella mariscos, which has all sorts of seafood in it - even octopus! It was delicious. I think I'll have to go Valencia now to experience real paella from it's place of origin! Then, after many hours of touring, we made our way to the big mall and did some shopping to finish off the evening.  I found a store called 'Mega Calzado".  It was amazing! But really, almost anything that translate to 'Mega Shoe' has to be great.  I bought two pairs...
We got back to Bilbao at about 11pm and I was exhausted! I managed to meet the girls for supper at a chinese food restaurant, and then went home to fall asleep ridiculous quickly.  It was a good day.

Hasta la proximá vez,
Kathlene

No comments:

Post a Comment