Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mundaka - 5 euros well spent

On Saturday, I went to Mundaka for the day. There's a bus that leaves from Plaza Zabalburu and goes out to Gernika and Burmeo, and stops in Mundaka. However, they name the bus stops randomly, and not after the towns they stop in, so know one could know where they're going. When you finally figure out which stop to get off at (by asking a helpful and nice old man) you find out that the bus stop is a normal bus stop... but is located at the side of the highway and is surrounded by NOTHING! After getting off the bus the only thing that crossed my mind was 'now what??' But, as it turned out, the town was actually very close. Phew.
Mundaka is a beautiful place, and has taken the spot for my favorite place seen thus far over Plentzia, but may be tied with San Sebastian. The town of Mundaka is world renowned for it's surfing (it's one of the 11 stops on the world surfing tour) but is a small place (pop. 1800) with the most incredibly friendly people. While I was there, I may have talked to everyone that lived in Mundaka. (This was easy to do as everyone who lived there was either in the main square or on one of the beaches.) I constantly got introduced as "Guapa Canadiense" which means pretty Canadian girl, or Katalin (the Basque version of my name which is pronounced Kataleen. I've only met three people who can pronounce the 'th' in my name so far - Eva, Rober and Ibai. Most people call me Katalin or Katie). 
There were a couple interesting sights to see such as Santa Katalin (I know what your thinking, and yes it was named after me) which is located on a pennisula of the same name. To get there you walk along paths lined with old rock walls - It's beautiful! Every couple hundred meters there's a small break in the rock wall where you can climb down the cliff on a black rock staircase down the to water level. Lots of people were reading or fishing on the black rocks, and the views from these places was breathtaking. There are also two beaches to enjoy in Mundaka, or you can take a small boat for less than a euro to Playa Laida across the water, which was the nicest beach in my opinion. 
On Saturday, there was a small festival in the main square with Basque dancers and musicians, and a small surfing competition with a concert. It was a good day to go and I will definitely go back! But I think I need stronger sunscreen, 30 apparently just doesn't cut it in the Spanish sun.

Hasta la proximá vez,
Kathlene

No comments:

Post a Comment